Please note that the following link lead to website in German!

You do not speak German very well? In the following, we explain important information about administrative bodies in an easy-to-understand language:

Simple language


Please note that the following links lead to websites in German!

If you are coming from abroad and want to stay or settle in Germany, you basically require a residence permit.

There are many possibilities of obtaining a residence in Germany. This depends on the reason for your stay. You can apply for a limited or unlimited residence permit or a visa.

You will find information on the subject of "residence permit" here:

Residence permit

You can obtain further information on the subject of "residence" and "asylum procedure" here:

Relevant periods of residence
Allgemeines Gleichbehandlungsgesetz (Equal Treatment Act)
Information about asylum law of the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (english)
Asylum procedure (German, English)


Here you will find information regarding care facilities in municipal kindergartens and day care centres for children, addresses of day care facilities as well as an overview of the diverse offers from our family centres.

Please note that the following links lead to websites in German!

Childcare in Cologne
Our family centres


Would you already like to work during the asylum procedure? Or are you tolerated in Germany and would nevertheless like to pursue gainful employment? Here we have compiled the most important information with regard to working in Germany, also regarding recognition and equality of certificates.

Please note that the following links lead to websites in German!


Working in Germany
Recognition and equivalence of certificates
Employment during the asylum procedure
Employment for tolerated foreign nationals
Job centre

Consulting and recognition of professional qualifications obtained abroad

The Volkshochschule Köln provides information and advice on the following issues:

  • Legal frameworks and possible courses of action
  • The recognition procedure for qualifications
  • Potential requirements and re-training
  • Preparing your application process with the appropriate authority  
Volkshochschule Köln

Work - multilingual information

Employment and vocational training for asylum seekers

You have come to Germany and would like to work here. Whether this is possible depends on your current residency status. The Federal Employment Agency will help you to find employment or vocational training.

Employment and vocational training for asylum seekers

Recognition in Germany

This portal provides information on the procedure for the recognition of foreign professional qualifications. If you would like to have a professional qualification recognized in Germany, you can use this portal to find your competent authority.

Recognition in Germany - Federal Ministry of Education and Research

Information for asylum seekers in Germany

This is where asylum seekers can find out all they need to know about asylum procedure, labour-market access, recognition of qualifications and assistance in Germany.

Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs

Make it in Germany

"Make it in Germany" is the multilingual "Welcome to Germany" portal for international qualified professionals. It is run by the Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy. "Make it in Germany" informs qualified professionals who are interested in immigrating about their career prospects and shows them how to organise their move to Germany – and what makes it worthwhile to live and work here.

Make it in Germany - Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy